Friday, August 03, 2007

fixing up my studio

I have been working on fixing up my studio space, organizing and cleaning off my work surfaces and setting up spaces for certain kinds of work. It's very satisfying.

Lately I have been letting this room become one of those "junk rooms". The room where you plunk down all the cluttery junk that you don't know how to deal with, and then just close the door. That is no good. I am beyond lucky to have this room and a supportive family that values my creative work. So why am I not in here painting every day?

I've been thinking a lot about art making and why I haven't been working on things the way I should be, and what it might mean that I let my studio get this way. I'm still mulling it over, but I'm also trying to just get back to it.




I hung up a bunch of my paintings all together on one wall, along with a giant work in progress. That big white panel just has the background laid in and it is huge! Much larger than I normally work. I think it's over four feet tall!


I also made this little clipboard type thing so that I can hang up drawings and photos. It was very easy. I used a glue gun and I hot glued clothespins to an extra strip of wooden molding that was hanging around in my studio.

I'll post photos of the rest of the space as I finish it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger lisa solomon said...

it's good to clean up the studio no? i always feel SO refreshed. yours is looking great.

can't wait to see more of what you make

[i wonder if the whole junk room thing is tied to guilt? i still feel guilty about spending time in the studio - of course it's also what i want the most. does this make any sense, no, but....]

11:58 PM  
Blogger SimiaArtifex said...

your white background piece looks amazing, like a Robert Ryman piece. very cool.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home