Friday, January 28, 2005

my ebay fairy godmother

I've been selling things on ebay for a few years now, it's been my main source of income aside from child support, since my ex and I split up. I go to thrift shops mostly, find things that are interesting, and sell them on ebay, mostly vintage clothes, purses, pottery, fabric, books, and random strange little collectible things.

I really like it, it's a bit like gambling.

I have a good friend who doesn't like objects at all, and wants as few of them as possible in her life. This friend has an extremely wealthy mother who loves to buy strange things and send them to her, and sometimes my friend will hand me something and tell me to just get rid of it. Last year she gave me these strange clothes, by Etro Milano. A suit jacket, a hideous lime green silk shirt that had two super pointy collars and double super pointy cuffs, and a pair of circus looking wide legged bright stripey wool pants. The original retail prices of the things were $2,000 for the jacket, $650 for the shirt and $800 for the pants. I think I made almost $1,000 selling those things on ebay.

Her mom just randomly orders things, she'll send a few thousand dollars worth of clothing, and sometimes she even sends huge pieces of furniture through the mail. One time she got a buffet and two dressers.

So anyway, this week she gave me this hideous fur thing, and told me "oh it's some designer thing it's worth like $200, just sell it." but it turns out that it is worth $700! So I listed it for 199, and now I'm compulsively checking my ebay every five minutes. No bids so far, but 5 watchers. I'll let you know if it sells.

2 Comments:

Blogger zelia said...

7 watchers now...

9:44 AM  
Blogger mati rose said...

so jealous at your extra cash flow! mebe i should try to sell some stuff.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home