Friday, April 08, 2005

powers of observation

Today I was reminded of how unobservant most adults are. I babysat my friend's kids for a few hours this morning and they played and did a lot of drawing on this beautiful gigantic paper that I got from my friends. (they used so much that I may have to ask for more!)

One of the things Z made was a set of rolled up paper "wings" that fit over her arms. Basically rolled paper tubes, open on one end, and folded closed in a triangular shape on the other end. They are more that a foot longer than her arms.

She and I went to the bookstore and she decided to wear one of her paper arms. She was excited about it, she said "I can't wait until people see it and laugh!" So we went into the bookstore in a mood of silly expectation, with me holding her super long "hand". We walked all through the store, browsed in the kids' section, and then bought a book. No one even noticed or looked twice at her!

Then we went into the cafe for a cookie, and she used her giant fake arm to push the cookie along the counter towards the cash register and again, nope.

I thought that it was very strange.

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Too many people have lost their silly powers. What a disappointment!

8:40 AM  
Blogger zelia said...

I agree! There is a definite lack of silly. She was pretty bummed. But she still likes the paper arm. It also makes a good imaginary boat oar, or something to whack her brother with.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home