Wednesday, May 31, 2006

one thousand paintings

Have you seen onethousandpaintings.com ? I found it last night via del.icio.us, but I guess it's on Boing Boing too. This guy did a thousand simple paintings of numbers from one to a thousand and he's selling them online with a set pricing structure so that the more paintings are sold, the more they cost and the base price is based on the number itself.

It's an interesting project for sure, and he's making tons of money rather rapidly.

What do you think?

5 Comments:

Blogger lisa solomon said...

conceptually i think it's brilliant. aesthetically i'm not so into the blue on white... but that's me....

12:33 PM  
Blogger zelia said...

I agree. I keep thinking about the conceptual part of it, how it's viral and participatory and makes people want the paintings even though the paintings themselves are just kinda not much.

12:45 PM  
Blogger mati rose said...

it's a good concept (i'm just noticing everyone agreeing here), but bores me.

9:26 AM  
Blogger phreed83 said...

More power to this guy in terms of entrepreneurship -- admittedly I'm not too arty but not something I'd pay for. Seems a shame people are shelling out for numbers when more interesting work goes unsold because it doesn't have a clever commercial gimmick.

Somebody'd better start stencilling the alphabet -- only 26 letters, but you could charge twice as much as supply would be so "limited."

4:53 PM  
Blogger zelia said...

Yeah Patty, you should hop to it! And Brian, I went and checked out the graph you did at 2000 bricks, interesting to look at it that way.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home