Monday, July 31, 2006

thinking about vintage clothing

I've been selling vintage clothes for a long while now, and the kinds of pieces I'm usually looking for are the 50's and earlier dresses and higher end things. Pieces like this one:



A totally gorgeous 1950's party dress.


And this one:


A very expensive hand-crocheted dress from Bergdorf-Goodman, probably from the early 70's.

But this week, a little vintage store on eBay came to my attention through Katey from That's Hot and then again it was on Modish and I checked it out. My first reaction was "really???" . Her dresses are ummm...not my thing. They look really cute on her, because she is a pretty hipster model doing model-ish poses. I actually have the same slip that she is wearing with a belt and that is currently at $42.00. It's a gorgeous slip, it's from the 50's and it's made by Barbizon and it would make a pretty dress. It's constructed well, with a side zipper and everything. I'm going to put it up on AppleSeed today, but sadly only my little mannequin will be modelling it.

And then I saw MeCozy's excellent post on the flickr Wardrobe Remix group, and I went and checked that out. And I guess I'm learning that right now the vintage to look for might be the stuff that I usually pass right up. The secretary blouses and weird 70's house dresses and the 80's silky layered dresses? Right?

3 Comments:

Blogger zelia said...

oh, now that's a good idea! and she's conveniently located as well! too bad she's so busy getting advanced degrees and all that!

3:14 PM  
Blogger jenifer lake said...

i totally agree. when i go thrifting i pass up the 80's garb a lot; and then i look around and see such cutie's modeling the wares...and i think hmmm...if i only i was skinny and hip, then i might make a mint on those goodies!

i just came across your site and blog and love it; i'll be checking in more for sure!

12:21 PM  
Blogger zelia said...

thanks Jennifer! I checked your blog out too, I loved the little birds that you made.

It's weird about the 80's stuff, isn't it? Sadly I'm pushing 35 and I'm just not cutie model material.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home