Wednesday, June 01, 2005

all the modern conveniences

I got a dishwasher today, from my friend who just moved into a new house and didn't want a movable maytag dishwasher that the previous owner had left behind. It's an awkward fit in my kitchen, but it's a dishwasher!!! It's been years since I've had one. Yay.

This week has been totally wonderful and kind of magical. Generosity is flowing around me and I'm so pleased and grateful. I got to spend Sunday and Monday with Scott, and that was a lovely change. On Sunday, I got a myspace message from a woman who I only really "know" on myspace, telling me about great computer sales and financing available over the holiday weekend. I don't have a great credit rating, because I have rejected the whole credit thing, until now (I'm changing my mind about credit). I decided to try anyway, but I was denied.

I told the woman that I didn't qualify, and she said "Oh, I'll co-sign with you, I have excellent credit, I do it for friends all the time!" This offer was astonishing. We met at the computer store and applied and got the credit and I got a shiny new computer that I can make payments on for 18 months with no interest, instead of trying to save up a ton of cash, and working on a borrowed machine.

And the woman who helped me was great! Smart and kind and interesting. She is from Yugoslavia and works for an NGO helping pass social reforms and helping to promote the interests of marginalized groups. I am hoping to take her out for lunch or a drink or something.

Another really amazing act of generosity happened for me this week too, but I'm a bit too sleepy to write about it right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger mati rose said...

That is sooo sweet! I'm excited for you to have a computer. I reject credit too, it's probably stupid and I'll never be able to buy anything big in my life, alas!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home